At Barrowby CE Primary school, we seek to promote equal opportunities for all so that each individual is encouraged to achieve their full potential and become lifelong learners who can make a positive contribution to society.
On entering Year 5, pupils who decide they wish to be considered for the role of Mini Police Officer, prepare a short presentation and are then asked to address the children from their year group and describe why they would like to fulfill the role. Once complete, each child votes for the candidate they believe can fulfill the role.
There are 2 Mini Police Officers chosen each year. They undertake the role for 2 years (during Year 5 and 6) and fulfil a range of duties:
- Attend training sessions organised by our local PCSO;
- Deliver inspirational acts of Collective Worship around key themes e.g. Road Safety, E-Safety etc;
- Support the younger children e.g. encourage the children to follow the school's rules, remind them of our British Values.
This leadership opportunity enables our pupils to further develop and embed the values of:
- Creativity: identify ways they can plan/resource and deliver acts of Collective Worship;
- Respect: liaise with our local PCSO and attend meetings to identify themes of importance;
- Independence: be able to act responsibly e.g. act as role models for our children.
In doing so, we enable all to shine and learn from one another.